In this level the student:
- Is introduced to the different periods of British literature.
- Builds a vocabulary notebook.
- Improves writing skills in exposition, description, narration, and persuasion.
- Learns about parallelism.
- Writes character trait stories and answers essay questions accurately.
- Reviews and practices grammar—capitalization and punctuation.
- Uses the dictionary as a reference tool.
- Learns about denotation and connotation.
- Paraphrases and writes summaries while reading The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge and Silas Marner by George Eliot (special edition).
- Analyzes Shakespeare’s life and Macbeth.
- Continues the study of speech—topic selection, preparation, speaking methods, and speech delivery.
- Is encouraged in character development through examples given in each PACE.
Click on each PACE for a breakdown of what it covers.